Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Time!

"In 'girl world', halloween was the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." - Mean Girls.

If you know anything about me, you know that I'm a typical latina and I love me some Selena! I've been waiting forever to dress up as the famous Tejano musician for Halloween and this year, I did it. My radio station help their annual Spookfest rave in Oakland, Ca on halloween night. Some people went all out in DIY costumes and others dressed down a bit. I chose to pay tribute to my idol, and wanted to show you how simple this costume was. Plus the live music was pretty awesome as well. 

In the words of a classic movie, "In 'girl world', halloween was the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." - Mean Girls. 


 Now if you're like some friends I shall not name and do not know who Selena is, let me enlighten you. (Shame on you people!!!) 

Selena Quintanilla Perez was born in Lake Jackson, Texas in 1971. The artist earned her claim to fame after touring with her family band, Selena y los dinos. In 1992 her album including the song, "Como la flor" won her a Grammy for the Best Mexican-American album. As she began her transition from Tejano music into American music, the album was set to be record breaking. She married her guitarist prior to the Grammy win and once she became more well known, she started designing her own clothing line. Selena became a triple threat and would stop at nothing to gain success. Her fan club manager, Yolanda Saldivar started embezzling money from the club and Selena had plans to meet with her to discuss the problem. Once they met, Saldivar shot the 23 year old singer in the shoulder until she bled out. The young and bright star lost her life that day and devastated the entire country. 

My grandparents came to America not knowing much english and tried their best to assimilate into this new world. As a result, we listened to Selena to help me understand Spanish and help my grandparents understand english. I love telling that story because music really truly brought my family together. (so cliche, I know!) 

Check out my Halloween 2014 and let me know some cool costumes you saw or designed! 













                                         






No comments:

Post a Comment